Profile: The Baltimore Sun, “Annapolis consumer attorney to receive legal service award” here.
Brief Bio: Peter Holland is recognized as a national authority on consumer protection law, with a special emphasis on debt buyer lawsuits. Prior to his return to full time private practice, he ran the Consumer Protection Clinic at the University of Maryland Law School for 5 years, where he published several groundbreaking articles, and trained law students and pro bono lawyers in debt defense and consumer protection litigation. Peter is a frequent lecturer at state and national consumer protection conferences, and is regularly sought out by other lawyers as a mentor, adviser and co-counsel. He has been counsel in several impact jury verdicts dealing with consumer rights. He has also been co-counsel in class actions resulting in the dismissal of thousands of lawsuits filed by debt buyers and automobile finance companies. His scholarship on debt buyers has been cited by courts and academics alike, and he is a frequent commentator in the media on consumer litigation issues.
The Details: My focus is on Maryland and federal consumer protection law and litigation, with a special focus on debt collection abuse and the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. You came to the right website if you are (1) a consumer looking to consult with or hire a consumer protection lawyer in Maryland; (2) a lawyer looking for advice, co-counsel or formal mentoring; or (3) a journalist with a media inquiry. When defending consumers,
Fees: When I am suing a debt collector or other defendant, I seek to recover my fees on a contingency basis, or where possible through fee shifting consumer protection statutes, such as the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and the Maryland Consumer Protection Act. In cases of demonstrated financial need and where there is no prospect of getting paid on contingency or through fee shifting, I may offer my services pro bono.
Services for Consumers: I represent consumers in the following areas:
- Debt Collection Defense
- Debt Collection Harassment and Abuse under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act
- Automobile Repossession
- Mortgage Servicing Abuse
- Credit Reporting Errors under the Fair Credit Reporting Act
- Telemarketing Abuse under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act
- Unfair and Deceptive Acts and Practices under the Maryland Consumer Protection Act
- Consumer Class Actions
- I have represented people in litigation against the following entities: Asset Acceptance, LLC, Midland Funding, LLC, Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC, CACH, LLC, Cavalry Portfolio Services, LLC, Hilco Receivables, Pasadena Receivables, FIA Card Services, Capitol One, Bank of America, American Express, BB&T, JP Morgan Chase, Ocwen Loan Servicing, Nationstar Mortgage, National Collegiate Student Loan Trust, Synchrony Bank, LVNV, and others.
Services for Lawyers: I offer help to lawyers from around the country in the following areas:
- co-counsel in consumer individual cases and class actions
- serve as local counsel in Maryland
- confidential expert witness consulting
- workshops and trainings
- confidential one-on-one attorney mentoring.
Media Contacts: I try to get back to journalists and reporters on the same business day on which I am contacted. Most helpful is if you send me an email setting forth your deadline, the general nature of what you are writing, and some specific questions so that I can be better prepared when we speak. If you are seeking comment about a report or court decision, please include a link or attach a copy.