Emanwel’s legal technology work was highlighted in the ABA Journal’s article “Algorithms fall short in predicting litigation outcomes“. He assisted the Baltimore Sun with its investigation into Baltimore City’s rent court and was credited in “Dismissed: Tenants Lose, Landlords Win in Baltimore’s Rent Court”
Peter was quoted by Justice Sonya Sotomayor, dissenting in the Supreme Court decision of Midland Funding, LLC v. Johnson. In her dissent, Justice Sotomayor, joined by Justices Ginsburg and Kagan, described eloquently the vagaries engaged in by debt buyers who knowingly file claims that are obviously beyond the statute of limitations.
Peter has been quoted in the New York Times, the Washington Post, the Los Angeles Times, the American Banker, the Baltimore Sun, Maryland’s Daily Record and other major media outlets, including the following recent coverage:
- NBC Washington, August 19, 2016: quoted in “The Wrong Peter Whitford: $25,000 Judgment Issued Against Maryland Man”.
- Human Rights Watch, January 20, 2016: quoted and cited in “Rubber Stamp Justice: US Courts, Debt Buying Corporations and The Poor”.
- NPR’s The Takeaway, December 23, 2015: featured in “How Debt Buyers Created a $100 Billion Industry”.
- American Bar Association Journal, December 23, 2015: quoted in “Debt buyers use courts to collect, then cite arbitration clauses to deflect legal challenges”.
- New York Times, December 22, 2015: quoted in “Sued Over Old Debt, Blocked From Suing Back”.
- American Bar Association Journal, November 1, 2015: quoted in “Debt-buying industry and lax court review are burying defendants in defaults”.
- ProPublica, October 8, 2015: credited in “Racial Disparity In Debt Collection Lawsuits: A Study of Three Metro Areas.”
- Naked Capitalism blog, March 12, 2014: featured in “New In-Depth Study Shows How Debt Collectors Abuse Legal System and Borrowers”.
- Public Citizen’s Consumer Law and Policy Blog, March 10, 2014: featured in “Peter Holland Study of Debt Buyer Collection Suits Finds Mass Produced Default Judgments“.
- American Banker, February, 11, 2014: quoted in “Courthouse ‘Rocket Dockets’ Give Debt Collectors Edge Over Debtors”.
- American Bar Association Journal, May 1, 2013: quoted in “Attorneys Push for Change in Debt Collection“.
- Baltimore Sun, October 25, 2012: featured in “Annapolis Consumer Attorney to Receive Legal Service Award“.
- Credit Slips blog, August 14, 2012: featured in “Learn How to Defeat Debt Collection cases Involving Junk-Debt-Buyers and Other Robo-Signers”.